A great vegetable galette is the perfect recipe to have in your arsenal for those occasions that you need a dish that wows but is simple to prepare.
This version calls for a store bought all butter puff pastry, a yummy goat cheese filling and lots of fresh vegetables and herbs.
Thaw your puff pastry. Prep your vegetables. Prepare your filling. Roll out the dough and assemble this delicious dish.
Although it might seam intimidating, it’s freeform and rustic nature means perfection can be checked at the door. Garnish with lots of fresh basil and this galette will not fail to impress.
Vegetable Galette with Puff Pastry Crust
- Quarter Sheet Pan
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling Pin
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry All Butter
- 5 Stalks Kale Stripped from Stalks and Chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion Finely Chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tea Salt
- 1/4 tea Black Pepper
- 2 Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Green Zucchini
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil Chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Oregano Chopped. If using dried, use 1 tea. and add it in with the Kale Sauté
- 4 oz Goat Cheese Plain, unflavored
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves For Garnish
- 1 egg Beaten, for Crust
- Preheat Oven to 425°. Place Frozen Puff Pastry on counter to thaw.
- Prep your Kale and Red Onion. Remove Kale from Stalks and chop. Finely Chop half a red onion. In a Sauté Pan on Medium-Low Heat, Pour 2 tbsp. Olive Oil and Sauté the Kale, Red Onion, Salt and Pepper. Allow to cook down while you prep the rest of the dish.
- Chop Plum tomatoes into 1/4 inch rounds. Chop Yellow Squash and Zucchini slightly thinner than a quarter inch as they take longer to cook. Chop Fresh Herbs.
- Place Goat Cheese, Heavy Whipping Cream and Egg in Bowl and Beat with a wooden spoon until Smooth.
- Place Puff Pastry on a Floured Surface and Roll out, increasing it's size by about one and a half inches on each side.
- Transfer Sheet of Puff Pastry to quarter Sheet Tray covered in Parchment Paper. Pour half the Goat Cheese Mixture into the Pastry Carefully smoothing it out, leaving a one and a half inch border. Dump Kale Mixture Over Goat Cheese Mixture and Spread out evenly. Dump Fresh Herbs over the Kale Mixture, evenly.
- Arrange Tomatoes, Yellow Squash and Zuchinni evenly. Overlapping is Ok, Ensure each piece will have some of every vegetable.
- Pull edges of Puff pastry dough up and over the vegetables all the way around, creating a freeform crust all around the vegetable galette.
- Take the remaining Goat Cheese mixture and gently pour it over the vegetables, creating little pools of mixture throughout the galette. Brush exposed crust with one beaten egg.
- Bake in the center rack of a 425° oven for 30 mins. Keep an eye on it as all ovens are different. You want golden brown deliciousness all over the vegetable galette. Garnish with Fresh Basil Leaves. Enjoy!